Please read the following instructions to assure optimal cosmetic outcome.
- STOP using aspirin, Motrin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, gingko biloba, fish oil, green tea, St John’s wort, or other anti-inflammatory medications, if approved by your physician. These medications should be discontinued 1-2 weeks prior to the procedure, as they increase the risk of bruising. For mild discomfort or headaches, acetaminophen (Tylenol) is preferred.
- DO NOT drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to your treatment.
- Expect that you may have some bruising and swelling after the procedure. Over the counter Arnica supplements (available at any pharmacy, supplement store, Whole Foods, etc) have been shown to decrease bruising. To maximize the benefits from Arnica, please start taking 3 days prior to your treatment.
- Inform the nurse or physician if you have a history of medication allergies, history of anaphylaxis and any other medical conditions.
- It is best to schedule your treatment at least 1 month prior to an important event, to ensure you are fully recovered.
- You may apply cool compress to the areas treated (avoid pressure) as this helps reduce swelling and the potential for bruising.
- Expect treated areas to be red, slightly swollen, a bit tender, and maybe bruised for the first 2-5 days. You may take acetaminophen (Tylenol) if you experience any mild tenderness or discomfort.
- Massage the treatment areas only if instructed to do so. For example, for Sculptra, follow the 5-5-5 rule: Massage 5 minutes, 5 times a day, for 5 days.
- AVOID strenuous exercise or activity for the remainder of the treatment day. You may resume other normal activities and routines immediately.
- AVOID hot showers or saunas for 6 hours after treatment as they can worsen bruising.
- You may continue taking Arnica supplements, apply topical Arnica gel, or try eating fresh pineapple and/or take Bromelain supplements as these may help alleviate bruising.
- You may cover any bruising with make up.
- Try to wait 1-2 weeks before receiving any facial or massage treatments.